Saturday, November 22, 2014

Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown

Lies Beneath By Anne Greenwood Brown 

  • Publisher: Random House Children's Books
  • Publication date: 6/12/2012
  • Pages: 320
  • Age range: 12 - 17 Years
The lore of mermaids and mermen is real! As Gretchen McNeil, author of Possess, says, "Riveting! A cold-blooded tale of secrets, revenge, and forbidden love that will leave you terrified to go in the water."
Calder White lives in the cold, clear waters of Lake Superior, the only brother in a family of murderous mermaids. To survive, Calder and his sisters prey on humans and absorb their positive energy. Usually, they select their victims at random, but this time around, the underwater clan chooses its target for a reason: revenge. They want to kill Jason Hancock, the man they blame for their mother's death.
It's going to take a concerted effort to lure the aquaphobic Hancock onto the water. Calder's job is to gain Hancock's trust by getting close to his family. Relying on his irresistible good looks and charm, Calder sets out to seduce Hancock's daughter Lily. Easy enough, but Calder screws everything up by falling in love—just as Lily starts to suspect there's more to the monster-in-the-lake legends than she ever imagined, and just as the mermaids threaten to take matters into their own hands, forcing Calder to choose between them and the girl he loves.
One thing's for sure: whatever Calder decides, the outcome won't be pretty.

Review:
That was one awesomely thought out book. Never thought of Lake Superior to be this eerie. Definitely brought on the chills. Anne Greenwood Brown is definitely lucky to have actually lived a life near the waters of Lake Superior and then write an incredible book placed there. I...think...I've been to Lake Superior once. I think! As a kid. Even without that fuzzy memory, this book brought out a mysterious idea of the ancient lake and filled my head with wondering thoughts about mermaids in it. Okay, enough amazed ranting about how much I felt like I was there.
In all honesty, this was a very well written mermaid-themed young adult novel. (Not that I wasn't being honest in the first paragraph) Calder's story, Lily, and even his assassin sisters were brought to life in the pages. I thought I knew what would happen but the book put a great twist on Calder's mission. There were a few instances where I thought there was gonna be a long drag of a chapter but I was suprised to find both times that that wouldn't be the case. I really enjoyed the book and the rest of the series. I'd recommend this book and if you like it, the following books. Go out and give it a try. I liked it and I'm sure you will too. Beautifully written. Especially loved the feeling of being on Lake Superior's shores just by reading the text.
The characters weren't any ordinary mermaid young adult wishy washy figures. Calder was by far my favorite character. Lily, I just couldn't trust now and then. To me, she did a few stupid things in the book but who am I to judge a fictional character's choices? Calder's character had depth and turmoil. Between figuring out what his sisters wanted him to do versus what he thought he should do, Calder made an amazing character in the novel. Even if the novel wasn't written well, I would have followed through just to see what happened with Calder.


Rating:
4.5/5 Stars


Meet the Author: 

ANNE GREENWOOD BROWN grew up sailing the Apostle Islands on Lake Superior, leaning over the rail and wondering, with a lake that big, that ancient, what amazing thing might flash by. Now she knows. Lies Beneath is her first novel.

Roshini

1 comment: